Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Putting Together the Magazine

Dear Blogger,
So I just realized that I haven't put anything up specifically about the process of putting everything together... my bad. So I started working on getting everything on to Indesign right before the interviews blog post (like a day or two before). This was when my feature article was full of science junk that would probably make watching a water drip from a pipe more entertaining. Because I didn't have the photos at the time, I had to put shapes in place of where the pictures would go and put the text around that. I don't have a picture of the original way it looked, because I saved over it with the new and better versions, but here is a recreation of what it looked like:


Yeah... they aren't perfect replicas of what I did originally, but this is just to give you a visual of what it used to look like. I also didn't put the article in this mock version of what I did because... I also may or may not have saved over it... anyway.

After I got the interviews, I immediately decided to fix my article. And fixed it I did! Now it turned from the most boring piece of writing in the world, to a somewhat argumentative essay. I mean... it still works its duty as a feature article. It's at least some what entertaining. I did notice that I took out a lot of the science evidence which left some room that I needed to fill. That is why I had three interview parts. I did not really expect to have the extra interview, but it definitely helped me a lot in terms of padding out and picture opportunities. So that was nice.

A little bit less than a week later of editing, I came up with this.

\



Minus not having the content page completed and seeing the outlines of the text boxes, I think this looks somewhat professional. The reason you still see the textboxes is because it wouldn't let me upload the normal thing to blogger, so I settled for a few screen shots. At this point I had two problems: the content page and the look of the animal puns. Lets get the big one out of the way. 

The content page is the hardest for me. I should probably explain that the content page for my original magazine, before getting the interviews, wasn't there. I was still having a very hard time organizing it all so I just worked on the other parts and get them out of the way. That same mentality carried over when I was getting the final product together, as you see in the second set of pictures. I do know what I want it to look like, it's just getting all the parts together on the page.

The animal puns help make this magazine stand out a bit compared to other magazines. I wanted to visually exaggerate them, but I didn't realize that the way I did it looked like someone took a blue highlighter and smeared it on certain words. I'm sure I'll figure out a way to make it stand out a bit without it looking bad.

So the next blog will be up tomorrow and then I will have a blog post that shows the final product on Friday. I'm saying this because those will be the last two blogs that I post. The next blog will be pretty long. I will be talking about the project as a whole and how I feel about it overall. Then it is the end. So... I guess I'll see you then.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Annotated Bibliography

Annotated Bibliography